Our History

Family Worship Center is a part of the Church of God, Cleveland, TN, and was organized in 1936 as the Augusta Church of God.  It is the third oldest Church of God congregation in Maine, following after Portland and Belfast. Sadly, official records of the church before 1959 have been lost.  Thus, it is not known who organized the church, nor who the charter members were.  Originally our church was located on 6 Main Street in Augusta, but our present building was  built in 1961 while Rev. Holeston Howard was pastor.

During the early 80’s, our church hosted a television program called “Harvest Time” under the leadership of Rev. Paul Fickett. Under the leadership of Pastor Darin Shorey, the name of the church was changed in 1996 from the Augusta Church of God to the Family Worship Center.

Under the tenure of Pastor Darin Shorey and Pastor Rodney Friend many improvements to the facilities and grounds took place including siding, paving, and various remodeling projects within the Church (kitchen, handicap bathroom, etc.)

Pastor Kevin McAllister, who had been a member of Family Worship Center since 1994, became our Senior Pastor in the Fall of 2006.

In the summer of 2013, we welcomed our current Senior Pastor, Rev. Douglas Watermolen and his family.

© 2018 Family Worship Center